Week 32 - Changes in Practice ad Future Plans

During the last 32 weeks Mindlab has provided me with a wide range of different learning and teaching opportunities that I have got to explore and trial.  We have got to experience and develop our understand of:
-Leadership in Digital and Collaborative Learning
-Digital and Collaborative Learning in Context
-Research and Community Informed Practice
-Applied Practice in Context
Each of these has provided us with an insight into the ever changing world of education and digital learning and experience.

Step 1 (What):  Identify one key change in your professional practice:
One key area of my professional practice that I has been a key change is the inquiry process that teachers go through in continuing to redevelop their pedagogical knowledge, understanding, strategies and practice.  


Professional Learning - Use inquiry, collaborative problem-solving and professional learning to improve professional capability to impact on the learning and achievement of all learners.  


Step 2 (Now What):  Evaluate the identified change:
The education environment has seen great shifts in the teaching and learning of young people and teaching colleagues.  Many schools have moved or are moving towards a more collaborative and team approach to plan and engage their learners.  This year as a school we are using Spirals of Inquiry for our teaching journey.  This has been exciting as it provided teachers with more time to sit and talk, collaborate, and observe what is happening in a range of classes.  It is also an effective way of challenging others thinking and question them on why they have done something a certain way. What is also interesting about the Spirals of Inquiry, is that there doesn’t have a clear completion date.  It is an ongoing process. There are also very clear stages/steps that teachers follow:
-Scanning
-Focussing
-Developing A Hunch
-New Learning
-Taking Action
-Checking

What I think is important and relates well is that the Spirals of Inquiry links in with the Code of Professional Responsibility:
-Commitment to the Teaching Professional
-Commitment to Learners
-Commitment to Families and Whaanau
-Commitment to Society


Within the Our Code, Our Standards, I believe that my key change  of inquiry comes up Commitment To The Teaching Profession as well as Commitment To Learners.  I believe that it is extremely important that as educators we are taking the time to really understand our tamariki, know who they are, where they come from and what is in their kete that we can use to empower all our learners to reach their highest potential across the curriculum (New Zealand Education Council Booklet).  I feel that by using the Spirals of Inquiry teachers are commitment to develop their ‘next practice’, which will hopefully promote engagement and achievement in our learners.


Under Standards For The Teaching Profession, I believe that the Spirals of Inquiry relates to the Professional Learning code.
Each of these bullet points can connect with the stages of Inquiry.


Stage 3 (Now What):
As we are in the early of stage of Spirals, only completing the Scanning and Focussing stage, it will be interesting to see where the process goes.  It has been interesting to reflect on how I use to get to know my students and their learning ability, to how I have done it this year. I have gathered a lot more student and whaanau voice.  I have had more conversations and observed the class in action. It has been nice to not rush. It has been a real mindshift in making sure that I am recording what I have noticed. One thing that I need to remind myself is that I don’t need to note everything.  

Using Osterman and Kottkamp (2015) model I have reflected on the following:
Problem Identification:  Previously I have completed the Teacher as Inquiry process individually and only had contact from my appreziser twice a year.  
Observation and Analysis:  This wasn’t always a big issue for me, however it had been very isolating and non collaborative.  By using the Spirals of Inquiry, there has been a lot more conversations and researching and thinking put into it.  There has been a lot more data and information gathered over the Scanning and Foucssing stage.
Abstract Reconceptilatization:  From the Scanning and Focussing stage, it has provided me with a range of information about my students.  From here, I would look into best learning activities that are going to support my students knowledge and learning.  
Active Experimentation:  With the new learning experiences, I would implement these into my daily programme.  I would reflect on what is working successfully and what needs to be relooked at to continue to support my students.


By using the Spirals of Inquiry and/or Osterman and Kottkamp (2015) model, these both provide a reflective model approach.  I see both of these approaches as a process that doesn’t have to be rushed. As teachers we are usually always rushing, it has been nice to slow the process down and think deeply and critically about our students. Both of these approaches have positive outcomes for the teachers, students and whaanau.  Being reflective about your practice is one of the most effective ways of seeing what is working, what is not working and what can be changed.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has used the Spirals of Inquiry in the school before and how they felt about the process.

Reference List:

Education Council, New Zealand, Matatū Aotearoa.  Our Code, Our Standards:  Code of Professional Resposniblity and Standard for the Teaching Profession.
Osterman, K. & Kottkamp, R.(1993). Reflective Practice for Educators.California.Corwin Press, Inc. Retrieved on 7th May, 2015 from http://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files.

Rolfe, G., Freshwater, D. and Jasper, M.  (2001). Critical reflection in nursing and the helping professions: a user’s guide.  Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.

Timperley, H., Kaser, H., & Halbert, J.  (2014). A framework for transforming learning in schools: Innovation and the spiral of inquiry.  Retrieved from http://www.educationalleaders.govt.nz/Pedagogy-and-assessment/Evidence-based-leadership/The-spiral-of-inquiry




Comments

  1. We just started using the Inquiry model as well Josh and are experiencing some success as well. Especially when combining it with gamification. We use classcraft and it has follow the inquiry model independently. It also provides a s\teacher and student forum for regular feedback. Maybe you could check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Josh, I'm really interested to read about how you're using the Spirals of Inquiry model. It seems to provide a clear but successful structure for teachers to follow, whilst focussing on the most important thing - the students. I also like how it has a specific aspect of using research to guide the inquiry, as you mentioned. Having the opportunity to collaborate with your colleagues on your inquiry must be such an empowering feeling - the combined power of many teachers isn't to be underestimated! All the best for your inquiry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Josh,
    I'm using the spiral of inquiry as well but no one else at my school seems to have heard of it! We work in cross curricular inquiry "hubs" of about 6 people at my school so I am sharing my progress with my colleagues which is helpful.
    I'd like to be able to discuss using the spiral model with others so I hope some of you good people will continue to meet up with me every now and again. It's been a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment